Sunday, August 24, 2008

Prices

I had two parcels waiting for me when I got back from holiday, both books. First, I had treated myself to Giannantoni's Socratis et Socraticorum reliquiae, promising myself that it was essential for some work on the Cyrenaics I have to do. It's pretty expensive, though, at €155, but I consoled myself that it's beautifully cased and produced and will be a resource I'll use time and time again. The other parcel was OUP's new Oxford Handbook of Plato. (Is Handbook 'of' quite right? It sounds a bit weird to me...) I would not have bought this myself since it comes in at a whopping £85 for the hardback (no paperback as yet...) , but I had some credit with OUP for some refereeing work I did for them recently. It's full of the great and the good, of course, so the content will be interesting and the sort of things the students will be reading. But it's incredibly pricey. Made me feel rather better about buying the Giannantoni.

1 comment:

Ivo said...

Giannantoni's collection really is a gem, I'm still waiting for a chance to find a copy somewhere in a second-hand book shop...