Tuesday, October 21, 2008

An excellent piece of reasoning

I don't want to detract your attention from my ornithological excursus here, but since it's topical I thought I'd add another post today. I laughed out loud when I read the following reaction to the atheist ads to be put on some London buses, from a press release by 'Christian voice':
Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.
I feel like adding 'Discuss' at the end and suggesting it as an essay question for this year's exams. It combines metaphysics and ethics rather nicely, I think. Spare a thought though for poor Ken Livingstone and his bendy buses. First Boris Johnson and now Christian Voice. The ads are pretty mild by the way, saying only that there is probably no god so you might as well not worry about it and get on with enjoying your life. (But that might be ad-speak so you don't need to be able to demonstrate the truth of an absolute claim, a bit like the good old claims about Carlsberg...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's astonishing how many people, atheists included, seem to be offended by the atheist bus ads. I know one guy, an agnostic, who began going on about 'the arrogance of atheists'. The arrogance of groups like Christian Voice didn't seem to bother him. Maybe we just expect it from them..?

I remember having to take a class as an undergrad where I was sat opposite a lovely, fervent member of the Christian Union. I got increasingly worked up about being told by her hoodie twice a week to 'Choose Life'. Three years later and still it rankles...