Sunday, January 02, 2011

A domestic indifference argument

Happy New Year everyone.

I've just about managed to get through the Christmas/New Year period.  There is a bit of a backlog on the email that's making feel a bit anxious about work and I've quite a lot of lecturing and teaching to do next term that I've yet to turn my mind to (lectures on: Plato's Crito, Early Greek Philosophy: Thales to Heraclitus, a set of Intensive Greek classes and the ancient philosophy MPhil seminar) but just as you think the holidays are coming to an end the school lobs in an INSET day and prolongs it just a little more.  I need to get thinking about the January Admissions Pool, as does my wife who is also a Director of Studies at one of the colleges.  But here's the issue.  The kids are off school so need to have at least one of us around.  What's more, there's no more reason for me to go to work and Sara stay at home than there is for Sara to go to work and me to stay at home.  And since at least one of us has to stay at home, the upshot is that we both do.  

The logic may not be impeccable [1], but it tends to be the practical outcome.

[1] I suppose it also needs at least the premise that 'go to work' here means to go in for a full day.  We do sometimes have to 'top and tail': swap over at lunchtime.  But sometimes you need to a full day to achieve anything worthwhile and the disruption caused by the relay is a distinct disadvantage.

No comments: