Monday, January 03, 2011

Sextus and natural philosophy

I've just had the good news that CUP have agreed to publish the proceedings of the 2007 Symposium Hellenisticum on Sextus Empiricus M 9 and 10 (Against the physicists).  The other good news (to my mind, at least) is that the volume won't have an alliterative title like some of its ancestors (Justice and Generosity etc.)  In part, this might be because there was no such obvious title.  But they had sometimes been a bit groan-inducing anyway.

I've got a piece in the volume (on the last section, on coming-to-be and passing-away) so I can't say whether it is a good collection or not.  But I hope it will at least be interesting. M 9 and 10 are full of good material and together the chapters will form something like a running commentary on the lot.

No comments: