Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Companions

I've just picked up my copy of the new Cambridge Companion to Ancient Scepticism edited by Richard Bett. (The entry on the CUP site is here, where you can 'look inside' and read Richard's introduction...) I've just glanced through so far, but I did read Svavar Hrafn Svavarsson's chapter on 'Pyrrho and early Pyrrhonism'. He does a very good job of making clear in a concise way what the real philosophical and interpretative questions are that lie behind a lot of to-ing and fro-ing about emending touto to to in a bit of Eusebius Praep. Evang. or wondering about punctuation in a fragment on Timon of Phlius. I'm looking forward to the rest.

(And while I was browsing I found this wonderful picture on Wikipedia: Der Philosoph Pyrrhon in stürmischer See. It illustrates DL 9.68. The pig looks suitably ataraxic.)

No comments: